my best lasagna yet!


We have family in town this week and that means more mouths to feed. Yay!  I love feeding people, I get such satisfaction from it.  I have been perfecting my lasagna and I decided to try it again last night.  It's a take on The Pioneer Woman's but with some healthier twists to it.  I don't use cans because of the BPA and I use all natural ground turkey instead of beef and sausage.  The first try was okay but not great.  I used the no bake noodles which I realize  I'm not a fan of and I used way too much seasoning.  But, last night's lasagna was a hit!  I believe I even heard them say it was the best they've ever had!  I could't be more proud.

lasagna
(makes 2 7x11 dishes)
  • box of lasagna noodles (I used a dozen noodles for this recipe)
  • half a medium onion
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 1-2 Tblsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
  • 2 lbs all natural ground turkey or beef (could use 1 lb ground meat & 1 lb breakfast sausage)
  • 2 jars organic pasta sauce
  • 2 eggs beaten
  • 3 cups cottage cheese
  • half a cup of shredded parmesan with an extra ounce or so to top it off
  • 1 lb shredded mozzarella cheese
Boil noodles in salted and oiled water until they are al dente' (about 12 minutes). Sautee onions and garlic in olive oil, add red pepper, italian seasoning and meat. Brown and drain fat or keep it if you like.  Empty both jars of pasta sauce and let simmer.  Combine eggs, cottage cheese and parmesan together. Keep mozzarella on the side.  Now start layering.  In the bottom of the dish spread a thin layer of sauce so the noodles don't stick.  Layer 3 noodles, a good helping of cottage cheese mixture, a layer of mozzarella cheese and then sauce.  Repeat again layering noodles, cottage cheese mixture, mozzarella cheese and sauce then top with some parmesan cheese.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes until it is bubbling on top and slightly brown.

Enjoy!  I can't wait to have it again tonight!  I called my Dad to ask if he'd like some because he is a big Italian food fan and he said "Is it organicfied? If so I'll pass."  He knows me so well! 



1 comment:

Fig+Sage said...

This looks great, Melissa! Thanks for sharing - will have to try it soon :) Happy 4th!! xo

Related Posts with Thumbnails