{summer reading list}

Photobucket


My nightstand table has been stacked high with books to read this summer not mention the ones I have on my iPhone's Kindle and there is  a big range in subjects as you will see. I can rarely read through an entire book without starting another at the same time too. I've never focused well. :)
  • First up is Baby-Led Weaning.  In the BLW method you skip pureed baby food and go straight to finger foods.  It is designed to create a more enjoyable meal time for baby and better eating habits by allowing them to explore food on their own. They encourage your baby to join in with the family at meal time and the cookbook and some great recipes that the whole family will like.   The title of the book is somewhat misleading to me though.  I have no intention of weaning Lyric from nursing and the title sounds like that is what you're learning to do.  They actually recommend that you allow your baby to feed themselves as much or as little as they want while still getting their primary nutrition from breastmilk or formula.
  • I'll be the first to admit that I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to dealing with a toddler.  One minute he is an angel and the next minute I'm ready to schedule an exorcism to release that demon that has taken over.  Out of all the parenting books out there I have liked the method used in The Happiest Toddler on the Block best.  It is a kind and caring method that focuses on how to communicate with your right brained child. 
  • Healing with Aromatherapy is in one word, fascinating!  Of course I know not everyone is fascinated by the healing properties of essential oils, how they are derived and where they originate from but I can not read enough about it.  I do have a botanical name after all.  Not only is my first name, Melissa, an herb (also known as lemon balm) but my last name, Vines, is a plant.  Predestined that I would get into this field perhaps?
  • If you are thinking about starting your own business you can not do enough research or read too many books on the subject.  Taking your time to plan properly will save you a lot of time, money and grief when it comes time to launch your dream.  I recently came across Become Your Own Boss in 12 Months and wish that I had read it 12 months ago!  It walks you through the entire process of entrepreneurship, covering everything from getting your personal finances in order first to writing a solid business plan and hiring employees.  
  • Like millions of other people I read The Help this summer and have been anxiously awaiting the movie.  It's such an interesting look into life in the south during the civil rights movement, thank God we've come so far since then!  I loved every minute of the story.  It's hard to believe that the manuscript got rejected by 45 different agents before getting published. 
  • The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks is a biography about the tragic life and death of a woman named Henrietta Lacks whose unknown contribution of cancerous cells rocked the world of science and medicine.  It is a thorough investigation into her life and family and how they were impacted by the knowledge that Henrietta's cells continued to live on even after she was gone.  Extremely interesting to say the least but such a heavy story that I was glad when I finished it.
  • Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches was brought to my attention by my dear friend Raechel over at Finding My Feet.  I think that sometimes books come into your life at just the right moment, when they are the most needed and that was the case for this one.  I was really feeling in the trenches and needed a fresher perspective of my role as mommy to two little ones.  An attitude adjustment was in order and that is exactly what I carried away from it. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails