on the menu {eggplant parmesan}


 


When we go out for Italian my hubby almost always orders Eggplant Parmesan, it's one of his favorite meals.  I think the only time that I've ever ordered it was when I was trying to induce labor, which I might add was unsuccessful.  I tend to cook quite a bit of Italian at home and one night I wanted to try something different so I decided to try to impress him and make my own Eggplant Parmesan.  
After doing a quick search for a recipe I came across this one from Whole Foods.  The only changes that I made to it were that I added about a half teaspoon of Italian Seasoning, salt and pepper and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese to the bread crumbs.  I served it over capellini pasta which is a very thin noodle that is becoming a favorite in our house.  The dinner was a hit and hubby said it was the best he's ever had! So if you're wondering what to do with your eggplants from the market or garden you have to try this. I'm ready to make it again!

Ingredients

1 large eggplant, sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick pieces (about eight) (*I cut them into circles because I liked the look better and used about 12 or 16 slices, sorry I can't remember.)
2 eggs, beaten with a fork 
1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs (sundried tomato or plain) 
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 
1 (25-ounce) jar pasta sauce (roasted vegetable or any variety) 
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese 
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese

Method

Preheat oven with a baking sheet inside to 375°F. Coat eggplant slices with beaten egg, then bread with panko crumbs. Spread oil on hot baking sheet and place eggplant slices on it in a single layer. Bake 15 minutes, flip and bake another 10 minutes. 
Increase oven temperature to 475°F. In an 8 x 10-inch ovenproof dish, layer pasta sauce, then eggplant, and top with cheeses. Repeat, finishing with cheese. Bake until the cheese melts and turns golden in spots, about 15 minutes.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails